Thursday, July 5, 2012

Car-less in Japan

I realized pretty early into my planning for Japan that I wouldn’t own a car.  Living in an area of the USA with towns spaced miles apart, I currently use mine every day.  Heck, I even named it (ok, as a joke between friends but still…) Surprisingly though, I don’t think I’ll mind being car-less in Japan.  I know I won’t miss the gas prices, the inconvenient repair costs, paying parking meters, riding out traffic jams…you name it!


With a car-less future in mind, I set out at the start of this spring to gain some bike experience.  I still remember pulling my old bike out of the shed without having ridden it in at least 8 years.  Dusting it off, I half wheeled, half carried it to a gas station to put air in the tires.  I remember the first teetering moments back in the saddle, hoping after all these years that the brakes still worked and the gears would shift.  Thinking back on that day, I have to smile. Now, I love cycling.  There’s no better feeling than racing downhill, drafting off of cars in the city and leaning into tight curves.  The feeling of success when my bike odometer ticks over another hundred miles is priceless.  I’ve come a long way!

Cycling is almost a kind of therapy for me.  After a crazy last semester at the University, I enjoy having a couple hours a day all to myself, where I can admire the landscape, breathe in fresh air, and reflect.  This past week, I started reflecting on some of the things I have learned as a beginning cyclist.

Top Things I’ve learned about cycling:

  1. Wearing a helmet—not optional! Cycling is full of unpredictable things and even the most careful cyclist is in danger of things outside of their immediate control.
  2. There are a lot more bugs at dusk than there are at dawn. This is important to consider when you are riding downhill at 25+mph and do NOT want extra protein in your diet.
  3. Surprisingly, some smaller dogs can run faster than bigger ones.  The most important thing, though, is that you ride faster than all of them.
  4. Small children on bikes are one of the most unpredictable road hazards.  The only thing worse are young children on small bikes accompanied by moms with double wide strollers that insist on taking up the entire lane…you get the picture!
  5. The scariest things on the road are drag racing cars, especially ones that careen out of side streets and aren’t watching for, well anything.
  6. There’s a lot of natural beauty out there wherever you go if you know where to look, or if you are adventurous enough to explore.  I love riding the bike trails here at dawn where I can frequently see deer, rabbits and other cute things roaming the forest. 
  7. There is a huge network of cyclists out there online and in local bike shops.  If you need help, just ask, and people tend to be happy to share what they know.
  8. There's no better time to start cycling than right now.  You don't have to have the most fancy, expensive gear.  Just find an old bike and start riding.  You won't regret it!
I hope that cycling continues to be a helpful, refreshing, fun activity when I begin my life in Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment