Sunday, June 3, 2012

Watashi wa doko desu ka? Where will I be?


So, I’ve gotten quite a few questions about where exactly I will live in Japan.  This is where the power of google swoops in to save the day J  I will be living in the Tohoku region, the northern portion of Honshu (Japan’s main island).  Here’s a map, I’ll be living in the neon green section:



To get a bit more specific, I will be living in Morioka-shi, the capital city of the Iwate prefecture.  Prefectures are somewhat similar to the states in the US, just a bit smaller.  The area has a similar climate to what I’m used to Michigan, except there will be more snow in the winter time. 

Here’s a map that shows Morioka-shi in Tohoku:


Random facts about Iwate-ken/Morioka-shi:
  • Iwate is the second largest prefecture, but it has the lowest population density. It is about the same size as Connecticut.
  • Morioka-shi is considered very rural with its population of 300k.  It is located 2~3 hours from Tokyo by train, and is surrounded by beautiful mountains.
  • Morioka-shi looks like this from a distance:

So there you have it, my soon-to-be new home town.  In a couple of months I will hopefully be able to share my own pictures instead of stealing others ;) 



No comments:

Post a Comment